Laparoscopic Myomectomy Procedure
A myomectomy is a fertility-sparing procedure to remove fibroids, while leaving the uterus intact. The type of myomectomy your doctor recommends depends on the size and location of your fibroids.
- Abdominal myomectomy may be recommended if you have many or very large fibroids growing in your uterine wall.
- Hysteroscopic myomectomy may be better if you have smaller fibroids inside your uterus.
- Laparoscopic myomectomy may be chosen as a treatment option if you have smaller and fewer fibroids.
When it comes to laparoscopic myomectomy vs. abdominal myomectomy, the laparoscopic procedure is best because it is minimally invasive. Keeping the incisions as small as possible leads to less pain, fewer complications, and a much faster recovery.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Laparoscopic Myomectomy?
The vast majority of myomectomies can be performed using advanced laparoscopic techniques. There are some limitations and concerns regarding using the laparoscopic method.
- The number of fibroids should be considered. A high number of fibroids could limit the feasibility of using this method.
- The position of fibroids should also be reviewed carefully. Those outside the uterine wall, usually attached by a stalk, are easiest to remove with this method, while those more deeply embedded or near your fallopian tubes or major blood vessels are more difficult, possibly requiring a more traditional abdominal myomectomy.
- If the fibroids are exceptionally large or if uterine cancer is suspected, this method is not usually recommended.
A laparoscope is a slender a narrow lighted tube fitted with a camera. Your surgeon makes a small incision in or near your bellybutton. Then he or she inserts a laparoscope into your abdomen. Your surgeon performs the surgery with instruments inserted through other small incisions in your abdominal wall.
If the surgery is being done robotically, your surgeon will control the instruments remotely using a robotic arm.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Myomectomy vs. Abdominal Myomectomy
Laparascopic myomectomy vs. abdominal myomectomy provides considerable benefits, such as:
- Significantly less pain
- Less blood loss
- Fewer complications
- Less scarring
- A shorter hospital stay
- A faster return to normal daily activities
- Lower risk of infection
Forest Hills Medical Services is a comprehensive clinical practice. In our office we believe that how you are treated is just as important as the medical care we provide. We are dedicated to providing the highest quality obstetrics and gynecology with warmth and compassion. Our physicians are easy to talk to and our entire staff is friendly and attentive to your needs.
The best gynecologists in Queens who are part of the Forest Hills Medical Services team are renowned for their extensive skills in performing laparoscopic myomectomy.
We will listen to all your concerns and together we will come up with the treatment plan that works for you and your unique circumstances.
Call FHMS to meet our staff in our state-of-the-art offices and be heard.
Gynecologists Dr. James Gohar (OBGYN Doctor), Dr Nithya Gopal and Maris Huffman, NP
Forest Hills Medical Services
108-16 63rd Rd
Forest Hills, NY 11375
☎ (718) 897-5331