The MUST-HAVE Items That Will Make Your Pregnancy Much More Comfortable
Pregnancy is an amazing journey, but it can present us with a lot of difficult moments along the way. The “glorious” symptoms you might experience during this otherwise happy and exciting time range from nausea to back pain, heartburn, and bladder control issues. There is a lot of advice on the internet on how to make your pregnancy a little bit more comfortable, so we decided to collect the best practical pregnancy products and ideas that might help you glide through your pregnancy with ease and maybe even some grace.
We did not include obvious things, like finding a good doctor, drinking lots of water, eating healthy foods, getting lots of sleep, taking prenatal vitamins, etc. These are the things most pregnant women hear about over and over again. The must-have items below are tried-and-true products that were suggested by women who used it during their own pregnancies.
- Sea-Band Mama Acupressure Bands – Sea-band.com describes their products as “The Natural Choice for Nausea Relief.” The bands are a “knitted elasticated wrist band, which operates by applying pressure on the acupressure point on each wrist by means of a plastic stud to help with feelings of nausea. Because the bands do not use drugs, they do not cause any of the side effects associated with anti-nausea drugs and can be worn on each wrist whenever you feel nauseous.” For many women, this is a “must-have” product for pregnancy, and many claim that it has helped them immensely during those first months when a vast majority of pregnant women feel queasy at least occasionally.
- Preggie Pop Drops – Sold on Amazon.com for $4.48, many women who tried these drops during their pregnancy found them to be very helpful and said that they are a great way to make nausea symptoms less severe. They are especially useful when you know that you are going somewhere where you can encounter weird smells. They are gluten-free and come in 4 great flavors: Sour Raspberry, Sour Lemon, Sour Tangerine, and Green Apple.
- Many pregnant women suffer from acid reflux and heartburn. Many women say that Tums Chewy Delights Soft Chews has practically become a food group for them during their pregnancies. Tums even come in berry flavors and as chewables! Grab a bag on Amazon.com for $3.89. Please note: Tums can cause air and gas in your belly. It is possible that you might feel bloated and uncomfortable after chewing on Tums, which brings us to the next must-have item.
- Gas-X– There is a variety of inexpensive Anti-gas tablets, both chewable and those you swallow. Available on Amazon.com for $12.74 in Peppermint Creme or Cherry Creme. This is definitely something you should have in your medicine cabinet when you are pregnant.
- Alkaline Food Chart – Acid reflux is a common symptom that plagues many pregnant women. There are a lot of different food charts you can consult to make sure you are not eating highly acidic foods. Many moms claim that they saw a big difference when they changed their diet by consulting one of these charts and reducing the amount of acid in their diets.
- Poise Microliners – So, it turns out that panty liners made for everyday wear or periods are designed differently than those designed for the bladder leakage that many pregnant women have to endure. Apparently, Poise microliners work a lot better for LBL (light bladder leakage) and discharge common in pregnancy. Many moms say they are inconspicuous and comfortable. You can find them in Walmart for $4.84 for 50 ct. liners.
- Boppy Pregnancy Pillows – Boppy.com and many moms are pretty confident that it is the most useful baby and pregnancy-related item they have ever bought or received as a gift! It is shaped like the beloved Boppy Feeding & Infant Support Pillow, but because this version is modified for the adult woman’s body, its middle section is left open to accommodate a baby bump and take all the strain off the lower back and hips. There is a variety of special pregnancy body pillows on the market and all of them make getting comfortable a lot easier.
- Essential Oils and a Diffuser. No, we are not getting all “New Agey.” Many moms say they really wished they had known about them with their first pregnancies! When you try to avoid taking medication to relieve your really bad allergies, essential oils can help. Lavender, Peppermint, and Lemon diffused in the air can be helpful not only for allergies, but also for morning sickness. Amazon.com sells an array of these diffusers from spa-like to high-tech. Check them out.
- TEMPUR-Topper Supreme – A lot of mothers call this product “life-changing”. The extra comfort and form-fitting support can be extremely helpful for the joints and relieve back and pelvic pain. It is highly recommended for any pregnant woman, especially for those who suffer from pelvic, sciatic, hip, and/or back pain. Get it right from Tempurpedic.com.
- Some women rave about button pant extenders that they used in their first trimesters. These Sammons Preston Pants Extenders work incredibly well for that time in your pregnancy when you can still fit into your clothes but need an extra inch added to the waist of your favorite pants or jeans. Simply slide the loop over your existing button to get the breathing room you need in those first few months. Available on Amazon.com.
- Bellaband – wearing this stretchy tube over unbuttoned (or even unzipped) pants will keep you in your regular clothing much longer than you thought possible. This type of band works best in the earlier months of your pregnancy. Available on Amazon.com.
- Maternity Belt – this AZMED Maternity Belt sold at Walmart.com is yet another type of band that is more helpful in the later stages of pregnancy by adding a little lift and taking some pressure off your back. Go to Walmart.com and find the best one that fits your needs.
- Another item that can be invaluable in the last months of your pregnancy is a support belt. This one is by NeoTech Care for only $23.99 on Amazon.com. The last month or two of pregnancy can be really painful—especially in your lower back and hips. Yes, it’s not the most attractive look, but you can easily hide it under your shirt and you won’t believe the difference in the way it will make your belly weight feel. Sold in a variety of colors and sizes from small to extra large.
- Slip-on shoes – Whattoexpect.com is a great source for pregnant women. One of the many topics they talk about is having the right, comfortable pair of shoes. A decent pair (or several) of stretchy slip-on shoes is going to make your life sooooo much easier as your belly grows. Trying to tie your sneakers on swollen feet while reaching around a beach ball can be difficult and even a bit disheartening. Having a nice pair of shoes you can easily slide on will make your feet, and you, much happier.
Did we forget any miracle products that made your pregnancy easier? Please comment and let us know. We would love to hear from you!